CipherTrace, a blockchain analytics software firm, has deployed a predictive risk-scoring system the company says provides real-time alerts on suspect crypto transactions for its exchange, investor and investigator clients.
- The tool will assign risk based on the on-chain histories of transacted funds, the Silicon Valley firm said.
- Inbound cryptos with unseemly ties (from sanctioned countries or a fraud campaign, for example) would get a “high risk" score under the system.
- CipherTrace claims the score respects user privacy, saying in a press release that it does not process any personally identifiable information.
- Coming days after a Twitter hacker scammed nearly $200,000 in bitcoin from hundreds of victims, the score could warn exchanges of incoming plunder, CipherTrace chief financial analyst John Jefferies told CoinDesk.
- All CipherTrace clients can use the tool from Tuesday's launch at 13:00 UTC (9 a.m. ET).
- Jefferies declined to state how large that customer base is, saying only that Binance is among them. CipherTrace firm has previously boasted 150 partners.
- The blockchain intelligence sector is broadly deploying risk-based scoring against a problematic crypto trio: money launderers, sanctions violators and terrorist financiers.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.