Indonesia's government plans to establish a "crypto stock" exchange by the end of 2022, according to a report by DealStreetAsia, citing a minister.
- The exchange will list companies in the digital asset industry, such as some of the 25 exchanges that have been granted licenses by Indonesian financial watchdog Bappebti.
- The Indonesian government sees the exchange as a means of protecting consumers as interest in digital currencies has risen, the report said, citing comments made by Deputy Trade Minister Jerry Sambuaga on Wednesday.
- "Creating a bourse needs many preparations," he said. "We need to see which entities should be included in the bourse. Secondly, we need to validate the said entities. Thirdly, there is a minimum capital and other requirements related to custodian, depository, technical things."
- Crypto transactions in Indonesia totaled 859.4 trillion rupiah ($57.6 billion) in 2021 with the number of users reaching 15.1 million as of June this year, according to Bappebti.
- Earlier this week, Indonesia's biggest tech company GoTo Gojek Tokopedia (GOTO) moved into the crypto industry with the purchase of local exchange Kripto Maksima Koin, one of the 25 firms to have been granted licenses by Bappebti.
- Indonesia's Ministry of Trade did not immediately respond to CoinDesk's request for further comment.
CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that covers the cryptocurrency industry. Its journalists abide by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by the Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, digital assets exchange. The Bullish group is majority-owned by Block.one; both companies have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary with an editorial committee to protect journalistic independence. CoinDesk offers all employees above a certain salary threshold, including journalists, stock options in the Bullish group as part of their compensation.