Bank of England Raises Interest Rate by Most Since 1995
At 1.75%, the rate is now the highest since the start of the global financial crisis in late 2008.
The Bank of England (BOE) raised its interest rate by 50 basis points to 1.75%, the biggest single increase since 1995, amid concern U.K. inflation will climb significantly above 10% next year.
- The rate is now the highest since the start of the global financial crisis in late 2008.
- The U.K. central bank has raised interest rates five times since December, most recently in June with a 25 basis point increase to 1.25%.
- The crypto market seemed to take the decision in its stride, with bitcoin (BTC) holding steady in the $22,700-$23,100 range.
- The bank's Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) voted 8-1 in favor of the increase, amid forecasts inflation could reach 13% in the fourth quarter. In June, inflation was 9.4%.
- The dissenting vote was cast for a smaller 25 basis point increase to 1.5%.
- "The latest rise in gas prices has led to another significant deterioration in the outlook for activity in the United Kingdom and the rest of Europe," the MPC said. "The United Kingdom is now projected to enter recession from the fourth quarter of this year. Real household post-tax income is projected to fall sharply in 2022 and 2023, while consumption growth turns negative."
UPDATE (Aug. 4 11:29 UTC ): Removes rate from headline; adds dissenting vote, quote from statement; moves crypto market reaction higher.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.