Singapore Grants In-Principle Licenses to Crypto.com, Two Others
The firms will be able to offer services to Singapore-based customers if granted full licenses.
The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) granted in-principle digital token payment licenses to crypto exchange Crypto.com and two other companies, paving the way for the three firms to offer services in the country.
- The two other companies are Genesis and Sparrow Tech, The Straits Times reported Wednesday, citing a speech by Deputy Prime Minister Heng Swee Keat at the Point Zero Forum in Zurich. (Genesis is a subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which also owns CoinDesk.)
- MAS "sets a high regulatory bar" and the approval "reflects the trusted and secure platform we have worked diligently to build,” Crypto.com CEO Kris Marszalek said in a statement confirming the license.
- MAS declined to comment on the story. Genesis and Sparrow Tech did not respond to CoinDesk's inquiries at the time of publication.
- Including these three, MAS has granted 14 in-principle licenses to companies looking to provide crypto services to Singapore-based customers. The first full license was granted to FOMO Pay in September 2021.
- The regulator has received 196 applications in total, 74 of which have been withdrawn and three rejected, according to the newspaper.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.