Japan Passes Landmark Stablecoin Bill for Investor Protection: Report
The new legal framework will take effect in a year.
In a historic move, Japan's parliament passed a legal framework around stablecoins on Friday, providing a safety net for investors in the wake of last month's terraUSD collapse that resulted in multibillion-dollar losses, according to a Bloomberg report.
- Japan is one of the first major economies to pass a law specific to stablecoins even if the legislation comes into effect in a year, the report added.
- The bill provides clarity around the definition of stablecoins, which will now be considered as digital money and must be linked to the yen or another legal tender, guaranteeing holders the right to redeem them at face value.
- Stablecoins can now only be issued by licensed banks, registered money transfer agents and trust companies. The bill does not address existing asset-backed or algorithmic stablecoins. However, exchanges in Japan do not list stablecoins.
- Prepared by Japan's Financial Services Agency (FSA), the bill was planned in late 2021, accepted by the House in mid-March this year and has now been passed by a majority in the House of Councilors plenary session.
- In the wake of the terraUSD (UST) collapse, this swift action by Japan could help restore confidence in crypto.
- A stablecoin is a type of cryptocurrency whose value is tied to an outside asset, such as the U.S. dollar or gold, to stabilize the price.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.