German Authorities Shut Down Russian Darknet Market, Seize $25M in Bitcoin
The Hydra Market's bitcoin privacy mixer complicated the investigation, police said.
German authorities seized $25 million in bitcoin (BTC) as they shut down Hydra Market, saying they had closed one of the world's largest darknet markets.
- The cybercrime office of the Frankfurt prosecutor's office and federal criminal police confiscated 543 BTC as they "secured" the site's servers, according to a federal police statement on Tuesday.
- Federal police found 17 million customers and 19,000 seller accounts. Hydra Market probably had the highest turnover among illegal marketplaces in the world, according to the statement. In 2020, the marketplace had €1.23 billion ($1.35 billion) in revenue, the police said.
- The Russian-language marketplace also had a built-in bitcoin privacy mixer, which complicated tracing the transactions, said the police statement.
- Hydra Market had been operating since 2015 and was accessible via the Tor browser. The site has been taken off the internet.
- The market was mainly used for narcotics, and served Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Moldova, according to blockchain forensics firm Ciphertrace.
- The investigation started in August 2021 and also involved U.S. authorities, the police said.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.