UK Financial Regulator to Limit Crypto Ads to Sophisticated, Wealthy Investors
The FCA also intends to ban incentives such as refer-a-friend and new-joiner rewards.
The U.K.'s financial services regulator plans to tighten restrictions on crypto-asset advertising after the government gives it increased power to regulate the industry and protect investors who may not fully understand the risks they are taking on.
- The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) said it plans to classify crypto assets such that consumers would be able to respond to promotions only if they are high net worth or sophisticated investors.
- It also intends to ban incentives such as refer-a-friend and new-joiner rewards.
- "Too many people are being led to invest in products they don’t understand and which are too risky for them," Sarah Pritchard, the FCA's executive director of markets, said in a statement.
- The government began consulting on a proposed framework for regulating crypto promotions in 2020. Since then, the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has stepped in to ban misleading ads on a number of occasions. On Tuesday, the Treasury said it plans to introduce legislation to strengthen the rules governing crypto ads and hand the FCA the power to regulate the industry.
- The FCA asked for feedback on the proposals by March 23, and said it expects to confirm final rules by midyear.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.