Chinese Police Arrest 8 People Related to $7.8M Rug Pull
Police in Anhui province froze RMB 6 million in assets related to a rug pull with hundreds of victims.
- Police from Anhui province's Chizhou city conducted the investigation, which led them to three suspects in the Sichuan, Hunan, and Guangdong provinces.
- Police also seized "tens of millions" worth of luxury cars and villas that the police said were bought with illegally obtained funds. The suspects eventually confessed to the crime, the police said.
- China issued its sternest ban to date on crypto trading and mining in September, looking to banish activities that it deems to be dangerous to retail investors and the economy.
- In June, an investor lost RMB 590,000 that he had invested in a crypto token, when the project owners siphoned the money, shut down the website and were unreachable, Chizhou police said. Hundreds of investors lost RMB 50 million in the scam, the post said.
- The investigation found that the suspects were transferring investor funds without the investors' consent to an "anonymous pool" where it was laundered, according to the post. The project had successfully passed a security audit, but had actually deployed different code that included a back door, the post said.
- Investors lost $2.8 billion through rug pulls in 2021, a report by intelligence firm Chainalysis said.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.