Nigerian Payments App Reportedly Suspending Operations Due to Government Crackdown on Crypto
Payments platform KurePay plans to suspend services to Nigerian users starting in 2022.
Nigerian payments app KurePay plans to suspend operations in the country after the government began cracking down on crypto exchanges, according to a report by local crypto publication Cryptoassetbuyer.
- The report said that KurePay is leaving Nigeria “largely due to the increasing hostile regulatory environment” for cryptocurrency service providers.
- KurePay’s decision to suspend operations was reportedly further fueled by two separate Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) orders from November that directed banks to close accounts associated with specific users tied to crypto activity.
- According to the report, KurePay will officially stop providing services to Nigerian users in the first quarter of 2022.
- It is unclear whether accounts tied to KurePay users were also affected by the recent orders.
- According to the report, KurePay plans to restrict its business to over-the-counter (OTC) and consulting services for Nigerians, while new users are not encouraged to use the platform for now.
- KurePay CEO Abikure Wisdom Tega reportedly said the CBN’s crackdown on crypto is a “disservice to Nigeria,” adding that KurePay has plans to launch a U.S.-based platform “in order to innovate in a more business-friendly environment.”
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.