ECB Sounds Alarm Over Linkages Between Stablecoins and Conventional Financial Markets
The central bank said exotic market segments, such as crypto, remain subject to “speculative bouts of volatility.”
The search for higher yields amid rising inflation and falling interest rates has led investors to take greater risks, making a broad section of the market, including crypto, vulnerable to corrections, the European Central Bank (ECB) said.
- The ECB acknowledged that cryptocurrencies have grown in popularity and relevance, and said that the crypto markets are subject to “speculative bouts of volatility.”
- The increasing use of leverage by crypto investors can lead to “large, concentrated losses,” the central bank said in its bi-yearly financial stability review, which was released on Wednesday.
- The ECB also warned against the growing link between stablecoins, cryptocurrencies that are pegged to fiat currencies, and the traditional financial market.
- The central bank has been discussing the creation of a central bank digital currency (CBDC) since the start of this year, and in July said it decided to launch the investigation phase of a digital euro project that would last 24 months.
- Fabio Panetta, a member of ECB’s executive board, earlier this month laid out a detailed roadmap for CBDC inclusion.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.