China’s ubiquitous messaging platform WeChat appears to be censoring searches for “Binance” and “Huobi,” joining Weibo and Baidu.
- Searches in Chinese and English for “Binance” and “Huobi” are returned with a message saying “No more results,” CoinDesk staff confirmed early on Wednesday. Existing articles related to the exchanges on WeChat are largely still accessible.
- Back in June, Twitter-like social media platform Weibo and search engine Baidu started blocking searches for Binance, Huobi and OKEx.
- On Sept. 24, China’s regulators also called for increased scrutiny on companies that disseminate information related to crypto trading, along with a renewed crackdown on the sector.
- WeChat is China’s largest messaging platform and a key tool for broadcasting news and information.
- Binance announced today it is halting Chinese yuan trading for its consumer-to-consumer platform.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.