DOJ to Launch National Crypto Enforcement Team: Report
U.S. Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco unveiled the initiative during a virtual speech at the Aspen Cyber Summit on Wednesday.
The Department of Justice (DOJ) is launching a crypto crime-fighting team, the National Cryptocurrency Enforcement Team, according to a report from Reuters.
- In a speech at the Aspen Cyber Summit on Wednesday, U.S. Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco announced the formation of the new team, which will be composed of anti-money laundering professionals and cybersecurity experts.
- The team will focus on helping the DOJ better protect consumers from online financial crime, according to the Reuters article.
- “Cryptocurrency exchanges want to be the banks of the future. Well, we need to make sure that folks can have confidence when they’re using these systems and we need to be poised to root out abuse,” Reuters quoted Monaco as saying. “The point is to protect consumers.”
- Monaco also announced the formation of an initiative that will focus on civil cyber fraud.
- This initiative will bring enforcement actions against companies that receive government funding when they fail to follow governmental recommendations for cybersecurity standards.
- The DOJ did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
This is a developing story and will continue to be updated.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.