Biden Administration to Pick Acting Chairman Rostin Behnam to Head CFTC: Report
The regulator is charged with overseeing derivatives market activity, including cryptocurrency derivatives.
U.S. President Joe Biden's administration reportedly plans to nominate Rostin Behnam, acting chairman of the Commodity and Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), to lead the regulator.
- Bloomberg reported Friday Behnam has been selected to lead as the regulator's chairman, according to unnamed sources close to the matter.
- While an announcement might be weeks away, the White House's selection is a continuation of Behnam's role as acting chairman, which began in January.
- The regulator is charged with overseeing derivatives market activity including cryptocurrency derivatives.
- In July 2017, former U.S. President Donald Trump nominated Behnam as a commissioner of the CFTC. He was confirmed two months later.
- Behnam has spoken favorably on the use of blockchain technology in financial markets and previously called for an "open mind" on regulation in the fintech space.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.