China’s Digital Yuan Is No Threat to US Dollar, Says Bank of Japan Official: Report
“The dollar’s status as the key global currency won’t change so easily,” BOJ’s head of payments told Bloomberg.
The head of payments for the Bank of Japan (BOJ) has dismissed the possibility that China's digital yuan could undermine the U.S. dollar's status as the world's reserve currency, according to a Bloomberg report.
- “The dollar’s status as the key global currency won’t change so easily,” Kazushige Kamiyama was quoted as saying. “In fact, the dollar’s advantage may strengthen further if the U.S. goes with digitalization.”
- On Sunday, the publication reported the Biden administration is troubled by the long-term effects a digital yuan may have on the dollar’s status.
- U.S. officials have been ramping up their efforts to understand how the digital yuan will be distributed and how it may impact trade sanctions.
- So far, China is leading major nations in the development of a central bank digital currency (CBDC), with the People's Bank of China (PBoC) making rapid progress through pilot projects.
- Recently, PBoC Digital Currency Research Institute Director Mu Changchun openly discussed the digital yuan and the need to address privacy issues.
- On April, 5 the BOJ announced it had kicked off the first phase of experimenting with its own CBDC.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.