Seychelles Regulator Issues Investor Alert Over Crypto Exchange Huobi Global
Huobi told CoinDesk the entity is within the company group.
The Seychelles Financial Services Authority (FSA) alerted investors Monday over an entity called Huobi Global Limited.
- The Seychelles regulator believes the entity is linked to cryptocurrency exchange Huobi Global and is operating in the country despite never being licensed to do so.
- The International Business Company (IBC) Huobi Global Limited "appears to be affiliated" with the online trading platform of the same name, the Monday notice states.
- The FSA is encouraging investors to exercise caution when dealing with the company.
- Talking to CoinDesk, a Huobi representative said: "Huobi Global Limited is a Seychelles-registered company that is part of Huobi Group. It provides services to global customers in accordance with applicable laws."
- The person said the firm's legal team is drafting a detailed response to the FSA's notice.
- Huobi Global's legal statement on its exchange platform, last updated two years ago, makes multiple references to the laws and regulations of the Republic of Seychelles.
- CoinDesk reached out to the FSA for comment but had not received a reply by press time.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.