Kia Motors America has reportedly fallen victim to a ransomware attack demanding more than $20 million worth of bitcoin.
- This amount demanded would rise to 600 bitcoins (over $30 million) if not paid within 10 days.
- Kia Motors America is suffering a severe IT outage taking its website, phone services and web systems offline.
- BleepingComputer said it had "obtained a ransom note that we were told was created during an alleged Kia Motors America cyberattack by the DoppelPaymer gang."
- The auto firm later told BleepingComputer that it has no evidence it suffered a ransomware attack.
- It isn't clear what data the group might have stolen, per the report.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.