Iran Amends Law to Allow Imports to Be Funded With Cryptocurrency
Strapped for international currencies, Iran is turning to cryptocurrency to allow imports to continue flowing.
Strapped for international currencies, Iran is turning to cryptocurrency to allow imports to continue to flow.
- Citing an article from The Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA), Iran Daily reported earlier this week the country's cabinet has amended recent legislation on digital assets to allow cryptocurrency to be used for import funding by the Central Bank of Iran (CBI).
- The amendment had been jointly proposed by the CBI and the cabinet previously.
- The change means legally mined cryptocurrency in Iran can only be exchanged if used to fund imports from other nations.
- Miners will supply the cryptocurrency directly to the CBI within an authorized limit, per IRNA's report.
- This would be based on how much subsidized energy a miner uses, as well as instructions to be published by the Ministry of Energy.
- Cryptocurrency has become increasingly important in Iran as the nation suffers from economic woes brought by U.S. sanctions and the coronavirus pandemic.
- Mining was legalized last year, however the industry is heavily regulated by the government making it a tough jurisdiction in which to operate.
- Iran Daily suggested that using bitcoin for import payments could help the nation avoid sanctions that impose limits on Iran's access to the dollar.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.