China Sees Advantages in Being First on New Digital Currency 'Battlefield'
The nation would wield stronger influence in the world as a result of the digital yuan issuance, according to a magazine from the People’s Bank of China (PBoC)
Unlike many other central banks, China's sees concrete benefits in being the first to launch a digital currency, according to China Finance, a magazine from the People’s Bank of China (PBoC).
- Reported by Reuters Monday, the article said that among the benefits of the digital currency – dubbed DCEP, for digital currency electric payment – would be the weakening of the dollar's role in international fiannce in favor of the yuan.
- China Finance said the ability to issue and control a digital currency would herald a new area of competition – a "new battlefield" between nations.
- Another advantage of the DCEP system would be the better feedback of payments data, which could help better promote monetary policy.
- That, in turn, could help economic recovery post-coronavirus, according to the article.
- The digital yuan has been in development for six years and is now in testing at banks and corporations in a number of regions.
- The article also highlighted the extensive research that has gone into the project, citing the 130 patent applications that have been lodged so far.
- These span cryptocurrency issuance, circulations and related apps, forming a supply chain that would support DCEP, the central bank magazine said.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.