Saudi Arabian business leaders think they have a solution to trade finance woes caused by COVID-19: a blockchain-based business passport to cut through red tape.
- This “Global Value Chain” (GVC) passport would allow firms already following their host country’s financial rulebook to tout their credentials elsewhere, easing trade and increasing financial access globally, according to the Saudis' Wednesday proposal before a group of G20 business leaders, developed in partnership with the OECD.
- Blockchain technology would provide the GVC Passport a distributed, trusted, real-time source for global regulators to verify business’ accreditation claims, according to the Saudis' accompanying white paper.
- The result: a more efficient financial system with firms – especially small and midsize ones that normally lack a global presence – cut free from repetitive, redundant, cross-border regulatory burdens, the Saudis said.
- "SMEs represent 90% of businesses and 50% of employment worldwide, and therefore hugely impacted by the events of the past nine months. Adoption of this policy initiative will help SMEs in the recovery phase," said B20 Chair Yousef Al-Benyan in a press statement.
- Saudis pitched their GVC Passport to global business leaders at a Wednesday B20 summit. They noted that it is a long-term proposal only possible with close international support, so they asked the business community and the G20 to get on board.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.