Shiba Inu Investor Transfers Tokens to Exchanges, Possibly Foreshadowing Price Drop
Wallet 0xd6 moved more than 182 billion shiba inu tokens to crypto exchanges Gemini and Crypto.com during Asian morning hours on Monday.
A crypto wallet holding a large number of shiba inu (SHIB) tokens is moving funds to exchanges, with historical data suggesting a decline in prices in the short term if the holder were to sell the tokens.
- Wallet 0xd6 moved more than 182 billion shiba inu tokens to crypto exchanges Gemini and Crypto.com during Asian morning hours on Monday, data cited by analytics firm Lookonchain shows.
- Three months ago, the same wallet moved more than 200 billion SHIB to Crypto.com, selling them for U.S. dollars. SHIB's price fell 7% at the time.
- Tracking the movement of tokens from wallets that hold a significant amount of supply can serve as an indicator of price activity. If a large number of tokens are sold, the price might decline as greater supply is available to the market. If the tokens are moved to related decentralized-finance (DeFi) applications, however, prices may not drop immediately.
- Etherscan data shows the wallet 0xd6 holds more than 3.1 trillion shiba inu tokens, valued at almost $40 million at current prices. That is slightly over 0.3% of the total supply of shiba inu tokens.
- Lookonchain said the wallet acquired shiba inu tokens in August 2020 with an initial investment of 10 ether (ETH), or just over $3,000 at the time.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.