Tether Dominates Curve's 3pool Liquidity With DAI, USDC Accounting for Just 15%
Tether accounts for 85% of the total liquidity in Curve's 3pool. While the stablecoin is seeing some volatility, the price remains firmly near the 1:1 U.S. dollar peg,
Decentralized exchange Curve's 3pool, perhaps one of the most important pools for stablecoins in decentralized finance, is heavily imbalanced.
- At press time, tether (USDT), the world's largest stablecoin by market value, accounted for 85% of the pool's liquidity. The other two pool components – MakerDAO's DAI and USDC – accounted for 15%.
- Tether's dominance in the pool has doubled this week.
- The renewed imbalance suggests an increased preference for DAI and USDC over tether – a phenomenon last observed after Terra's crash in May saw tether turn volatile and lose its peg.
- USDT accounted for 60% of the pool in July as the fear about tether permanently losing its 1:1 U.S. dollar peg gripped the market.
- That fear seems to have returned, with tether seeing minor volatility amid rumors that Alameda, FTX's sister concern, is swapping USDT for USDC.
- USDT briefly fell to just under 98 cents soon before press time. Historically, tether has moved in the range of 98 cents to $1.02 most of the time.
UPDATE (Nov. 11, 12:56 UTC): Updates story with latest figures.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.