- Terraform Labs transferred the tokens to a wallet connected to Luna Foundation Guard on Thursday, Terra Finder's publicly accessible blockchain transaction portal shows. Both Terra's official Twitter handle and the transaction details tagged the transfer as a "gift" to LFG.
- Led by Do Kwon, Terraform Labs is the South Korea-based firm behind the TerraUSD blockchain protocol that hosts UST – the largest algorithmic stablecoin with a market capitalization of $17 billion – and its token pair LUNA.
- Singapore-based Luna Foundation Guard was created to support the Terra ecosystem with development grants and to build up a reserve for UST to help maintain its peg. Do Kwon is a member of LFG's council.
- The transfer helps prop up LFG's reserves, which now stands at $2.43 billion, according to a data tracker shared by LFG's official Twitter handle, with 69.8% of the reserves being in bitcoin.
- The data tracker shows that LFG holds 2.25 million LUNA tokens which is fewer than the 10 million transferred. Terra Finder shows that 7.8 million LUNA token were forwarded to another wallet. Before the transfer, LFG's holding of LUNA stood at 50,000, according to a Twitter post that tracks LFG's reserve and its changes.
- When the transaction was executed, Terra's LUNA was trading at $88. It has since slid more than 6% since to $82.
- A Terraform Labs representative didn't immediately return a request for comment.
UPDATE (5:36 UTC): added detail about the part of the gift that was forwarded.
CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that covers the cryptocurrency industry. Its journalists abide by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by the Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, digital assets exchange. The Bullish group is majority-owned by Block.one; both companies have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary with an editorial committee to protect journalistic independence. CoinDesk offers all employees above a certain salary threshold, including journalists, stock options in the Bullish group as part of their compensation.