Developers behind popular meme cryptocurrency shiba inu (SHIB) have unveiled details of their virtual reality project "SHIB: The Metaverse," announcing 100,595 land plots, some of which will remain private.
- Land plots will be released in phases. The introductory stage will unlock 36,431 plots, divided into four categories: Silver Fur, Gold Tail, Platinum Paw and Diamond Teeth and priced between 0.2 ether (ETH) to 1 ETH.
- The team has decided to use neutral cryptocurrency as a land pricing token to ensure there is no downside risk to Shiba Inu native coins.
- "Using our ecosystem tokens is a risk, as we would need to dump our own tokens price cashing them! And that's far away from our plans," developers said in the announcement published Wednesday.
- Land buyers will be able to generate passive income, gather in-game resources, and generate rewards, which the team said it will reveal soon.
- Landowners can rename their plot while using and burning the dog-themed SHIB token.
- "We will be introducing the first special role that shiba inu $SHIB will play in the metaverse," the announcement said. "By welcoming a mechanic to burn $SHIB independently while renaming your land plot, furthermore, this should start soon after land events and public sale have ended."
- The rest of the SHIB ecosystem coins such as LEASH and BONE will play a role as more phases are rolled out, developers said, adding that LEASH holders will be able to purchase lands in later stages.
- The metaverse will be developed in Shibarium, a layer 2, or companion, system for SHIB.
- The SHIB token was flat, near 0.00002274 at press time. Developers hinted at a foray into the metaverse in early February.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, institutional digital assets exchange. Bullish group is majority owned by Block.one; both groups have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary, and an editorial committee, chaired by a former editor-in-chief of The Wall Street Journal, is being formed to support journalistic integrity.