Developers behind popular meme cryptocurrency shiba inu (SHIB) have unveiled details of their virtual reality project "SHIB: The Metaverse," announcing 100,595 land plots, some of which will remain private.
- Land plots will be released in phases. The introductory stage will unlock 36,431 plots, divided into four categories: Silver Fur, Gold Tail, Platinum Paw and Diamond Teeth and priced between 0.2 ether (ETH) to 1 ETH.
- The team has decided to use neutral cryptocurrency as a land pricing token to ensure there is no downside risk to Shiba Inu native coins.
- "Using our ecosystem tokens is a risk, as we would need to dump our own tokens price cashing them! And that's far away from our plans," developers said in the announcement published Wednesday.
- Land buyers will be able to generate passive income, gather in-game resources, and generate rewards, which the team said it will reveal soon.
- Landowners can rename their plot while using and burning the dog-themed SHIB token.
- "We will be introducing the first special role that shiba inu $SHIB will play in the metaverse," the announcement said. "By welcoming a mechanic to burn $SHIB independently while renaming your land plot, furthermore, this should start soon after land events and public sale have ended."
- The rest of the SHIB ecosystem coins such as LEASH and BONE will play a role as more phases are rolled out, developers said, adding that LEASH holders will be able to purchase lands in later stages.
- The metaverse will be developed in Shibarium, a layer 2, or companion, system for SHIB.
- The SHIB token was flat, near 0.00002274 at press time. Developers hinted at a foray into the metaverse in early February.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.