- The crypto market was last at $2 trillion in August.
- In the last week, bitcoin has jumped nearly 14%, and ether has risen 12%.
- Analysts who spoke with CoinDesk previously said that capital controls in Russia are one reason for the rapid appreciation.
- "Capital controls without demand don't make an impact on price. Capital controls mean price will deviate to one side or the other depending or where the demand is," trader and analyst Alex Kruger told CoinDesk in a prior interview.
- Terra’s LUNA token had a stratospheric rise, climbing nearly 70% during the last week, and is now trading at about $94.
- Solana's SOL and other layer 1 tokens like Avalanche's AVAX and Polkadot's DOT have also risen. SOL has gained 18.5% this week, while AVAX was up about 16% and DOT nearly 13%.
- Bitcoin has a market cap of about $835 billion, while the ruble has a market cap of around $626 billion.
CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that covers the cryptocurrency industry. Its journalists abide by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by the Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, digital assets exchange. The Bullish group is majority-owned by Block.one; both companies have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary with an editorial committee to protect journalistic independence. CoinDesk offers all employees above a certain salary threshold, including journalists, stock options in the Bullish group as part of their compensation.