The cryptocurrency hit five-month highs of over $4,200 earlier today, extending Wednesday’s 7.3% gain – the biggest since Oct. 1. The price chart shows the path of least resistance is to the higher side, and record highs could soon come into play.
- Ether has convincingly breached the bearish trendline connecting May and September highs. Bitcoin topped similar resistance earlier this month and clocked new record highs of over $66,000 on Wednesday.
- Ether has also flipped the September high of $4,030 into support.
- There is little resistance overhead on the way to $4,379 – the record reached in May.
- The relative strength index (RSI) on the 4-hour chart is signaling overbought conditions with an above-70 print. So, a pullback to former hurdle-turned-support at $4,030 may be seen before a continued rally to lifetime highs.
- The options market is leaning bullish, with investors buying out-of-the-money or higher strike call options on expectations that U.S. regulators would soon approve an exchange-traded fund (ETF) tied to ether futures contracts.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.