The Dogecoin Foundation, a nonprofit organization that aims to support the development of the memecoin through advocacy, governance and trademark protection, has been re-establishedhttps://foundation.dogecoin.com/posts/2021/08/announcement-re-establishing-the-dogecoin-foundation/.
- The foundation boasts some well-known board members and advisers, including Ethereum co-founder Vitalik Buterin, who is serving as the foundation’s "blockchain and crypto adviser."
- Jared Birchall, a representative who was appointed by Tesla co-founder and influential dogecoin supporter Elon Musk and who is the head of Musk's family office, joins as the foundation’s legal and financial adviser, while dogecoin core developer Max Keller will serve as a technical adviser and dogecoin co-creator Billy Markus will be the community and memes adviser.
- Board members include Dogecoin Foundation veteran Jens Wiechers and dogecoin core blockchain developers Michi Lumin and Ross Nicoll.
- Originally launched in 2014, the foundation became inactive over time and eventually dissolved.
- The foundation is now hoping to secure a three-year budget so that it can hire a small staff to work on dogecoin full-time.
- It also said that in the coming weeks the foundation “will be announcing new projects that will complement the current Core Wallet to enable faster integration and easier APIs (application programming interfaces) for financial, social and charitable projects wishing to use dogecoin.”
UPDATE (Aug. 17, 20:31 UTC): Updated with additional information about Jared Birchall's background in the second bullet point.
UPDATE (Aug. 18: 12:17 UTC): Updated Billy Markus' pseudonym with his real name in second bullet point.
CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that covers the cryptocurrency industry. Its journalists abide by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by the Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, digital assets exchange. The Bullish group is majority-owned by Block.one; both companies have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary with an editorial committee to protect journalistic independence. CoinDesk offers all employees above a certain salary threshold, including journalists, stock options in the Bullish group as part of their compensation.