- The latest refund progress was confirmed by Poly Network on Twitter Thursday, although a full recovery of the refunds will still require the attacker to give the final key for the multisig wallet.
- The DeFi platform, which operates on Binance Smart Chain (BSC), Ethereum and Polygon, was hit by a hack that drained over $600 million in crypto earlier this week.
- The hacker began returning the funds on Tuesday to wallet addresses across the three chains.
- The attacker, who acknowledged the offer, said he or she never responded to Poly about it and will send all of the money back.
- Shixing "Discus Fish" Mao, CEO and co-founder of mining pool F2Pool, said in a Weibo post that the negotiation of the refund took about 52 hours and included the participation of several parties including himself, a white-hat hacker named "MR. 600 MILLION," security firm Slowmist and Tether.
- Slowmist told CoinDesk on Friday that not long after the attack, the company was able to obtain internet protocol addresses (IP) and email addresses associated with the hacker, which may have put some pressure on the hacker to return the funds.
- Mao said that he will build a monument in Cryptovoxels, a virtual world on Ethereum, to commemorate the "historic" event, which he said has accelerated the development of security in the crypto industry.
UPDATE (August 13, 16:01 UTC): Updated throughout with the latest information and details about the return of the funds.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.