Indian crypto exchange CoinDCX has raised 6.70 billion rupees (US$90 million) from investors in a funding round that values the exchange above $1 billion.
- The unicorn status is a crypto industry first in the country with a population of 1.33 billion, Bloomberg reported Monday.
- Led by Facebook co-founder Eduardo Saverin’s B Capital Group, the funding round came in $10 million to $20 million less than initial targets, as reported by CoinDesk in July.
- Other investors included Coinbase, Polychain Capital, Block.one and Jump Capital.
- Funding will go toward doubling the exchange's staff in the next six months to about 400 employees.
- CoinDCX said it hopes to bolster its user numbers from 3 million to 50 million over the next few years, according to the report.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.