Bakkt, Quiznos Sandwich Chain to Launch Bitcoin Payment Pilot Program
The crypto custodian and Quiznos will allow customers at select Denver locations to purchase items with the cryptocurrency.
- The program, which will include Quiznos’ high-traffic Denver airport location, will launch in mid-August, the companies said.
- Quiznos customers who download the Bakkt App, purchase bitcoin and use it to pay for their next meal at select locations will receive a $15 bitcoin reward.
- Bakkt Chief Revenue Officer Sheela Zemlin said that the firm would "closely watch how this pilot performs, with the potential to expand the partnership to additional Quiznos locations across the country."
- Bakkt has been recruiting retail chains and other businesses to its app, which it launched in 2019 to make it easier to execute bitcoin transactions. Bakkt App users can pay for products and services in bitcoin, use bitcoin in tandem with loyalty and rewards points programs or convert bitcoin to gift cards and cash.
- Mark Lohmann, president of Rego Restaurant Group, Quiznos' parent company, said that working with Bakkt was appealing primarily because it would allow Quiznos “to accept bitcoin directly at the point of sale” quickly and smoothly.
- “As we continue our digital transformation journey and respond to mobile and millennial consumer demand for alternative and cryptocurrency payment options, we are excited to offer yet another accessible way for customers to buy a meal,” Lohmann said.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.