- The program, which will include Quiznos’ high-traffic Denver airport location, will launch in mid-August, the companies said.
- Quiznos customers who download the Bakkt App, purchase bitcoin and use it to pay for their next meal at select locations will receive a $15 bitcoin reward.
- Bakkt Chief Revenue Officer Sheela Zemlin said that the firm would "closely watch how this pilot performs, with the potential to expand the partnership to additional Quiznos locations across the country."
- Bakkt has been recruiting retail chains and other businesses to its app, which it launched in 2019 to make it easier to execute bitcoin transactions. Bakkt App users can pay for products and services in bitcoin, use bitcoin in tandem with loyalty and rewards points programs or convert bitcoin to gift cards and cash.
- Mark Lohmann, president of Rego Restaurant Group, Quiznos' parent company, said that working with Bakkt was appealing primarily because it would allow Quiznos “to accept bitcoin directly at the point of sale” quickly and smoothly.
- “As we continue our digital transformation journey and respond to mobile and millennial consumer demand for alternative and cryptocurrency payment options, we are excited to offer yet another accessible way for customers to buy a meal,” Lohmann said.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, institutional digital assets exchange. Bullish group is majority owned by Block.one; both groups have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary, and an editorial committee, chaired by a former editor-in-chief of The Wall Street Journal, is being formed to support journalistic integrity.