Stronghold Digital Mining Files for $100M IPO
The firm intends to list its Class A common stock on the Nasdaq Global Market under the ticker SDIG.
Stronghold Digital Mining, the alternative energy-powered bitcoin miner, has registered for an initial public offering (IPO) with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
- The Pennsylvania-based Stronghold filed its S-1 form Tuesday with the SEC, proposing a $100 million IPO.
- The firm intends to list its Class A common stock on the Nasdaq Global Market under the ticker SDIG.
- Stronghold converts waste coal, a material left over from coal mining, into power used to mine bitcoin. Pennsylvania regulators classify waste coal as an alternative energy source on par with hydropower for its environmental impact.
- In its S-1, Stronghold said it currently operates approximately 1,800 crypto asset mining computers with hash rate capacity of roughly 85 petahash per second (PH/s). Since April 1 the company has entered into three definitive agreements with multiple suppliers to purchase over 27,300 additional miners with a total hash capacity equal to over 2,600 PH/s.
- In June, Stronghold raised $105 million in a funding round with contributions from MG Capital and Greg Beard, a former senior partner at private equity firm Apollo Global Management. Beard is now listed as Stronghold's co-chairman and CEO.
UPDATE (July 21, 15:03 UTC): Updated with details about Stronghold's business in the fourth bullet point.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.