Data center operator Enegix will host Beijing-based crypto miner producer Bitmain's mining equipment at its 180 megawatt facility in Kazakhstan.
- The center, which was commissioned in late last year, is Enegix's third location and is designed to host more than 50,000 current-generation mining rigs, according to an announcement Friday.
- It will host Bitmain's Antminer S19 Pro machines.
- Enegix CEO Yerbolsyn Sarsenov said the company is "pleased to be able to offer Bitmain the remaining capacity of its 180MW facility."
- How much capacity that amounts to was not specified. Enegix had not responded to CoinDesk's request for clarification at press time.
- Based in Ekibastuz, near the Russian border, the facility gets its electricity from the country's national grid, which sources it from a local coal power station, Enegix told CoinDesk last August.
- Enegix plans to open more mining centers, hoping to cash in on the demand from mining companies for infrastructure in Kazakhstan.
- Thanks to its abundance of cheap electricity, the central Asian country is one of the most popular destinations for mining firms that are migrating from China in response to the crackdown on the industry there. BIT Mining and Canaan have both established operations in Kazakhstan in the past two months.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.