- The city's emission rights exchange announced the news at a conference on fintech and green finance held on July 15.
- The offset is built using AntChain, fintech giant Ant Group's enterprise blockchain platform.
- Blockchain can make the issuance, trading, and audit of carbon offsets transparent and traceable, according to the report.
- China aims to achieve carbon neutrality by 2060, according to its latest Five-Year Plan. It is ramping up the use of green finance with green bonds and a national carbon market announced Friday.
- Tianjin is a coastal city in northern China, close to Beijing. It is a major port and industrial hub in China, particularly in petrochemicals.
- IBM started building a blockchain platform for carbon emissions in China in 2016.