One in Five UK Crypto Investors Don't Know What They're Doing: Research
The study by behavioral finance firm Oxford Risk concludes 21% of investors rate their knowledge of crypto assets as "poor or non-existent."
More than one in five retail crypto investors in the U.K. say they don't know what they're doing despite owning cryptocurrency, new research suggests.
- The study by behavioral finance firm Oxford Risk concludes that 21% of investors rate their knowledge as "poor or non-existent" even after owning crypto assets.
- Of the 1,038 investors surveyed, 36% said that at the time they first bought crypto their knowledge was poor or non-existent.
- The research also suggests that Britons are quite prudent in their crypto investments, with 81% saying they started with small amounts to see what happens.
- Three-quarters (76%) have invested less than 5% of their total savings and 41% have invested less than 1%.
- Research by the U.K.'s Financial Conduct Authority concluded that while awareness of crypto is increasing, understanding is declining. That was based on a figure of 71% of people being able to correctly identify the definition of cryptocurrency from a list of statements.
- The Oxford Risk study was conducted May 21-23.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.