Jamaica’s Central Bank to Start CBDC Pilot With Financial Institutions in August
The bank plans to expand the trial between September and December.
The Bank of Jamaica is planning to test its delayed central bank digital currency (CBDC) across financial institutions in August, according to a report in the Jamaica Observer.
- Speaking at a Rotary Club conference last week, Bank of Jamaica Governor Richard Byles said the banks plans to expand the trial between September and December and then gradually move toward a full-fledged launch.
- According to Byles, financial institutions will exchange CBDC with businesses and individuals at a rate of J$1 (US$0.07) in cash to 1 CBDC.
- “We're currently looking at all the technical sides of the system and we have a sandbox in the bank that we have the whole infrastructure in,” Byles said. ”As we work through the technical minting [redeeming] of the currency, we have to test it rigorously as a pilot and that we'll do in August.”
- The bank had originally planned to begin the pilot in May, but was delayed for unspecified reasons.
- The central bank is working with Ireland-based technology firm eCurrency Mint to support the rollout.
- As reported by CoinDesk, the Jamaican government views the accelerated transition to a digital society and economy as vital to an economic recovery following the COVID-19 pandemic.
Read more: Jamaica to Pilot CBDC Later This Year
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.