Most Institutional Investors Expect to Increase Crypto Exposure by 2023: Study
Four out of 10 respondents said they plan to increase their crypto holdings dramatically.
A survey found that 82% of institutional investors expect to increase their exposure to crypto and digital assets by 2023.
- The study by Nickel Digital Asset Management surveyed institutional investors and wealth managers from the U.S, U.K., France, Germany and the UAE, Institutional Asset Manager reported.
- Nickel Digital Asset Management did not say how many institutional investors were surveyed.
- Additionally, four out of 10 respondents said they would increase their crypto holdings dramatically, with fewer than one in 10 saying they would reduce their exposure.
- Among reasons for increasing exposure, 58% cited the long-term capital growth prospects of crypto and digital assets. Over a third of respondents said it was because of either feeling more comfortable with the asset class (38%) or the improving regulatory environment (34%).
- A recent example of the latter was a new law in Germany permitting "special funds" – the dominant institutional investment vehicle in the country – to hold up to 20% of their portfolios in crypto. Some estimates suggested as much as $415 billion could flow into the space should every fund allocate their maximum quota to crypto.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.