Bank of France Carries Out Fifth CBDC Experiment With BNP Paribas, Euroclear
“This experiment made it possible to test the integration of issuance and settlement activities, including exchanges on the secondary market,” said the Bank of France.
The Bank of France said it carried out its fifth experiment with central bank digital currency (CBDC) in March with a number of investment banks such as BNP Paribas and the clearinghouse Euroclear.
- In an announcement Monday, the bank said the experiment was conducted with the European blockchain firm LiquidShare and involved the issuance and settlement of both unlisted and listed securities using blockchain technology.
- Other organizations involved in the experiment include Axa Investment Managers, CACEIS Bank, CIC Market Solutions, Crédit Agricole Titres, Euronext, Kriptown, La Banque Postale, Caisse des Dépôts, among others.
- “This experiment made it possible to test the integration of issuance and settlement activities, including exchanges on the secondary market,” said the Bank of France.
- In June, the bank announced a new CBDC experiment with the Swiss National Bank dubbed “Project Jura,” involving the bank-to-bank wholesale lending market, not public transactions.
- The Bank of France said its other experiments are ongoing, and all the lessons learned will play an important part in its analysis of the benefits of CBDCs.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.