A partnership between digital asset management firm NYDIG and NCR will make crypto purchases available to 650 banks and credit unions.
- The initiative is in response to demand from NCR banking clients whose customers have been buying crypto through outside exchanges, according to a Forbes report Wednesday.
- Those clients will now be able to access crypto trading through their banking apps, with NYDIG providing custody.
- The partnership could bring crypto to 24 million customers across the 650 banks that NCR services.
- “A lot of these banks have seen that one of the biggest outflows from their depositors is moving money from the bank to exchanges like Coinbase,” said Yan Zhao, co-founder of Stone Ridge, sister company of NYDIG.
- “And so that's part of why banks are so excited to have this capability for themselves and for their consumers.”
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.