Binance's non-fungible token (NFT) marketplace is set to launch Thursday with an auction featuring works by Andy Warhol and Salvador Dali.
- Trading in the marketplace will commence at 10 a.m. local time in Singapore (02:00 UTC, or 10 p.m. ET Wednesday), Binance said.
- The "Genesis" auction will be the marketplace's first premium event – auctions for high-end work by select artists – and will feature Warhol's "Three Self Portraits" and a digitized NFT of Dali's "Divine Comedy: rebeget."
- The Dali work has been redesigned to feature the bitcoin symbol, Binance CEO Changpeng "CZ" Zhao's signature and the Binance logo, visible only by zooming in.
- The auction will start with the launch of the marketplace and last for five days.
- The marketplace was announced in April and will run mainly on the Binance Smart Chain with the Ethereum network supported as well, allowing users to view Ethereum NFTs in their Binance wallets.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, institutional digital assets exchange. Bullish group is majority owned by Block.one; both groups have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary, and an editorial committee, chaired by a former editor-in-chief of The Wall Street Journal, is being formed to support journalistic integrity.