Banque de France Extends Wholesale CBDC Experiment
The French central bank used a CBDC to simulate the settlement of securities trading.
Banque de France has extended its testing of the use of a central bank digital currency (CBDC) for the wholesale market.
- The latest experiment involved a CBDC used to simulate the settlement of securities using TARGET2-Securities (TS2), the European Central Bank engine for instantaneous settlement, an announcement Monday said.
- The French central bank simulated CBDC issuance on a public blockchain, harnessing a dedicated smart contract to trigger delivery of the securities.
- The experiment was conducted in collaboration with Swiss digital-asset bank SEBA and Luxembourg private bank Banque Internationale à Luxembourg.
- Banque de France has been experimenting with CBDCs for wholesale purposes, focusing on bank-to-bank transactions rather than the retail market.
- In January the French central bank completed the interbank settlement of around €2 million on a private blockchain provided by U.K. startup SETL.
- Earlier this month, it partnered with the Swiss National Bank to start a joint cross-border CBDC experiment dubbed "Project Jura" for the wholesale-lending market.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.