BIS Launches Innovation Hub With Nordic Central Banks Focusing on CBDCs
The launch of the Nordic hub marks the fifth BIS Innovation Hub Centre to be opened in the past two years.
The Bank for International Settlements (BIS) has launched a regional innovation hub in Scandinavia with four Nordic central banks focusing on central bank digital currencies, cybersecurity and "green" finance.
- BIS said Wednesday it has partnered with Danmarks Nationalbank, Central Bank of Iceland, Norges Bank and Sveriges Riksbank to launch the hub which will aim to advance its work on priority themes.
- The BIS has also launched hubs with the Bank of Canada in Toronto and the Bank of England in London as well as the European Central Bank in Frankfurt and Paris.
- The launch of the Nordic hub marks the fifth BIS Innovation Hub Centre to be opened in the past two years.
- The hubs focus on six areas including suptech and regtech, financial market infrastructures, CBDCs, open finance, cybersecurity, and green finance.
- Recently the BIS published a survey examining the possible cross-border use of CBDCs based on 50 central banks. About two-thirds of them are already experimenting with CBDC and conducting pilots, the BIS said.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.