Indian Government Poised to Loosen Tough Stance on Crypto: Report
It's the latest twist in India's oft-changing posture toward fast-growing crypto markets.
The Indian government may soon strike a more conciliatory tone on bitcoin, moving away from its initial plan to impose an outright ban on private cryptocurrencies.
- The government may classify bitcoin as an asset class, industry sources told The New Indian Express, adding that the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) will regulate the cryptocurrency sector.
- The cryptocurrency regulation bill could be tabled during the monsoon session of the parliament set to begin next month, a source told the Indian publication.
- Major crypto exchanges like U.S.-based Kraken, Hong Kong-based Bitfinex and rival KuCoin are already scouting for India's entry in hopes that the market will explode once regulatory uncertainty subsides.
- Authorities across the globe are taking steps to regulate the fast-expanding market. Early today, the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision recommended stricter capital requirements for holding bitcoin.
- The Indian crypto industry has seen solid growth, with millennials embracing bitcoin ever since the country's Supreme Court set aside the Reserve Bank of India's crypto banking ban in March 2020.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.