Biden's National Security Adviser Sees Crypto Role in Cyberattacks as Priority for G-7, NATO
Jake Sullivan said the "cryptocurrency challenge ... lies at the core" of ransomware attacks.
Jake Sullivan, U.S. President Joe Biden's national security adviser, highlighted the role of crypto in cyberattacks as a priority for the upcoming G-7 and North Atlantic Treaty Organization summits this month.
- The "cryptocurrency challenge ... lies at the core" of how ransomware attacks play out, Sullivan said at a White House press briefing Monday.
- Members of the Group of Seven and NATO must increase their preparedness against such attacks and share information about current threats, Sullivan said.
- "Ransomware is a national security priority, particularly as it relates to ransomware attacks on critical infrastructure in the United States," he said.
- Sullivan's comments follow a number of cyberattacks on U.S. infrastructure, including one on Colonial Pipeline's payment systems last month that shut down a fuel pipeline that runs from Texas to New Jersey, prompting concerns of a gas shortage in a dozen states.
- The G-7 summit of leaders from Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the U.K. and the U.S. will take place on June 11 in Cornwall, U.K., and the NATO summit will be held in Brussels on June 14.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.