A Vienna-based blockchain interface company, has built a platform for consumers to invest in energy produced by solar power through tokenization.
- Riddle&Code Energy Solutions teamed up with Austrian energy provider Wien Energie to build MyPower, an announcement Monday said.
- MyPower tokenizes solar-panel assets, allowing customers to purchase shares in Austria's solar-energy industry.
- In the early stages of the project, a limited number of customers bought shares in a small solar-panel plant, for which they received tokens based on the energy produced by the plant.
- The users were able to use the tokens to pay their electricity bills.
- The project has turned its users from "consumers into prosumers," according to Michael Strebl, CEO of Wien Energie.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.