BurgerSwap Hit by Flash Loan Attack Netting Over $7M
The attacks marks yet another exploit of a BSC-enabled DeFi protocol.
Decentralized finance (DeFi) protocol BurgerSwap suffered a flash loan attack that saw hackers make off with around $7.2 million of altcoins.
- BurgerSwap is the latest DeFi protocol on the Binance Smart Chain (BSC) to experience an attack of this nature.
- The attackers created their own "Fake Coin" and formed a trading pair with the protocol's native token BURGER, ultimately changing the latter's price, BurgerSwap said in a series of tweets.
- The exploit led to the theft of some $7.2 million in altcoins, including $3.2 million in BURGER, $1.6 million in wrapped binance coin (WBNB) and $1.4 million in tether.
- BURGER is currently trading at $6.75, a drop of 27% from its 24-hour high of $9.24, according to CoinMarketCap data.
- The frequency with which these are occurring on BSC is causing alarm in the developer community.
- "BSC is a public permissionless infrastructure so anybody can deploy projects there," Samy Karim, Binance coordinator of business and ecosystem development, said at Consensus 2021. "You have malicious actors there and hacks, and exploits in DeFi are not new and definitely not unique to BSC."
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2024, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.