Cryptocurrency derivatives exchange FTX has launched a futures contract allowing traders to take a bet on the re-election or otherwise of Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro.
- “Bolsonaro 2022” should theoretically track the Brazilian president’s perceived chances of re-election. It is not available to traders in the U.S.
- The election is set to be held on Oct. 2, 2022, with a second round scheduled for Oct. 30 should no candidate receive more than 50% of the vote in the first round.
- Polling has Bolsonaro trailing the Workers’ Party candidate, former President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva.
- The most recent research by Datafolha gives Lula a lead of 23 points in a run-off vote between the two.
- Bolsonaro 2022 follows a similar contract launched by FTX on President Donald Trump’s ultimately unsuccessful re-election in the U.S. in 2020.
- More recently, the exchange listed a WallStreetBets futures contract to capitalize on the retail trading fervor in January.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.