Bitcoin Wallet Used by DarkSide for Ransom Payments ID'd by Elliptic
Since becoming active, the wallet has received bitcoin transactions totaling $17.5 million, the data analysis firm said.
The wallet used by the DarkSide ransomware group to receive bitcoin ransom payments has been identified, according to data analysis firm Elliptic, citing intelligence collection and analysis of blockchain transactions.
- The wallet received the 75 BTC payment reportedly made by Colonial Pipeline on May 8, following the cyberattack that led to widespread fuel shortages in the U.S., Elliptic said in its report.
- The wallet has been active since early March and has received 57 payments from 21 different wallets, including some matching ransoms known to have been paid to the group in other cases of blackmail, the firm said.
- Since becoming active, the wallet has received bitcoin transactions totaling $17.5 million, Elliptic said.
- Elliptic also said it has been able to gain intel on how DarkSide laundered prior attacks, potentially allowing authorities to locate the people behind them.
- Earlier Friday, KrebsOnSecurity and others reported that the DarkSide group has decided to shut itself down after its own servers were seized and someone drained crypto from an account belonging to the group.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.