Bitwise Launches ETF of 30 'Pure-Play' Crypto Firms Like Coinbase, MicroStrategy
The ETF will aim to track Bitwise's list of top crypto firms and includes companies with $100 million or more of liquid crypto assets on their balance sheet.
Crypto asset manager Bitwise has come to market with a new exchange-traded fund (ETF) that offers investors exposure to companies in the cryptocurrency sector.
- The Bitwise Crypto Industry Innovators ETF is now live on the New York Stock Exchange with the ticker "BITQ".
- The product aims to track Bitwise's Crypto Industry Innovators 30 Index, the firm's list of “pure-play" crypto companies.
- Those companies must have either 75% of income derived from cryptocurrency or 75% of their net assets in crypto.
- Firms with $100 million or more of liquid crypto assets on their balance sheet are also included.
- The index allows for firms to be added quickly should they hold an initial coin offering or direct listing, as happened when Coinbase (COIN) listed on the Nasdaq in April.
- Bitwise, which says it now has over $1.5 billion in assets under management, has previously launched a number of crypto index funds, including one focused on decentralized finance, or DeFi .
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.