SBI Ripple Asia, a joint venture between SBI Holdings and Ripple, has introduced Cambodia's first international remittance service that uses blockchain rails.
- After testing with SBI LY HOUR Bank, a subsidiary of Japan-based SBI Holdings, the initiative was approved by the National Bank of Cambodia, according to an announcement Friday.
- SBI Ripple Asia already has a blockchain-based payments agreement with TP Bank in Vietnam.
- The two partnerships will deliver the money-transfer service using RippleNet, Ripple's distributed ledger-based payments network.
- The service is said to offer real-time payments with low fees.
- SBI Ripple Asia further said it will work with Ripple to offer such services for institutions in the U.S.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, institutional digital assets exchange. Bullish group is majority owned by Block.one; both groups have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary, and an editorial committee, chaired by a former editor-in-chief of The Wall Street Journal, is being formed to support journalistic integrity.