DeFi Protocol EasyFi Reports Hack, Loss of Over $80M in Funds
A company blog post reveals that private keys to the project’s admin account had been compromised.
EasyFi, a decentralized finance (DeFi) Polygon Network-powered protocol, has reported suffering a hack Monday of over $80 million.
- A blog post by CEO and founder Ankitt Gaur published later in the day said the hacker had transferred out 2.98 million EASY tokens, which were worth around $25 apiece at the time, for a total of around $75 million.
- The amounts were transferred to an unknown wallet on the Ethereum network.
- Gaur wrote that private keys to the network admin MetaMask account had been compromised through his computer, but the EasyFi smart contracts were not exploited.
- He also offered a $1 million reward to the hacker for returning the funds in full.
- EASY tokens have taken a hit since the hack, sitting at $16.65 at press time. Deposits and withdrawals have also been suspended, which has prevented the hacker from moving the stolen tokens from the wallet.
- In a message to CoinDesk, Guar has confirmed that plans for a hard fork to recover funds are in the works. A detailed report on the investigation is also expected later today.
Updated April 20, 2021, 16:34 UTC: Information regarding the pending hard fork and report was added.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.